Massage during pregnancy is a wonderful way for mothers-to-be to relax, rejuvenate, and release some of the stress that their bodies are under for those nine months. While the massage obviously feels fantastic, there are many other benefits:
- Encouraging muscle relaxation and relief
- Reducing heart rate and blood pressure
- Increasing blood circulation and lymphatic flow, therefore encouraging the body to release stagnant waste held in the tissue
- Promoting deeper breathing and an overall sense of wellbeing
- Strengthening the immune system by encouraging the body to return to homeostasis (optimal balance in which the body best fights injury or illness)
- Satisfying the need for nurturing touch
Other reported benefits from women who have received massage during pregnancy include:
- Fewer obstetric and postpartum complications
- Reduced premature birth rates
- Shorter or less painful deliveries and less days spent in hospital
- Reduced swelling in the hands and feet
- Less lower back and sciatic pain
- Decreased instances of postpartum depression and anxiety (due to fewer stress hormones in the blood)
Active Therapy has a specialist pregnancy clinic in Aberdeen, Colchester, and opening soon in London.
These clinics are run by a practising midwife with over 40 years of experience in this field.
For women wanting a pregnancy massage in Dumfries, this midwife can be available on conference call for help and advice with pregnancy issues; whilst the treatment will be carried out by a fully qualified pregnancy massage therapist.
If birthing partners accompany you to the appointment, techniques can be demonstrated to assist in pain relief and relaxation during labour.
To enquire about pregnancy massage click here.